2.10.2010

our story

Thanks for stopping by to read!  I'm Ashley, wife of an wonderful and handsome businessman and a stay-at-home mom of three great kids... two handsome boys and a darling little girl. I am truly living the life I had always dreamed of as a young girl.  The beginning of this journey didn't start out like I'd imagined, however.  Let me tell you about God's grace to us.

_________________________________________________________________________________


David and I met at the tender age of 16. He was the "new kid" that had just moved here from Texas.  I'll never forget the first time I ever laid eyes on him.  He was wearing a gray t-shirt.  Everybody was in the gym for a pep rally or an assembly, I can't remember which.  One of my friends pointed him out to me, because she thought he was cute.  I quickly agreed that he was definitely good-lookin'.  Very soon after that, I saw him in the hallway at church.  I was surprised, and excited, to see him there!  I didn't say anything to him yet.  I'm fairly shy, so I didn't have the guts to go up to him and tell him I had seen him at school the other day. 

The next week, I saw him standing in the hallway at school again.  Well, this day I decided to muster up the strength to say something to him.  It would have been rude of me, had I not.  I can't remember exactly what it was that I said, but I introduced myself, and told him that I was from Texas too.  It was a quick conversation, and we went on with our day.

We quickly became friends.  I told him he should start coming to our Wednesday night Bible study for guys and girls.  Then I told him to come to youth group on Saturday nights.  After youth group, everyone would go out afterward to Fat Daddy's, Goodberry's, or someone's house.  We would go to lunch together at school, along with many other friends.  We were great friends, and I'm confident to say he was one of my best friends at the time.  We had a lot in common, laughed together a lot, and just enjoyed each other's company.  I know society says you can't be "just friends" with the opposite sex, but it worked for us.

So I thought.  

Over the course of many months, different people said to me, "You know, you and David would make a really cute couple".  Of course I usually responded with something like, "ha ha, very funny."  You know how it goes.  I honestly just didn't have any sort of romantic feelings for him.  Our friendship was just that.  Friendship. 

 Well (you knew this was coming), eventually, I found myself looking for him in the halls at school.  I would make sure my hair looked fine and that my outfit was cute, for him.  I would get to school, walk down the hall toward my class, and look everywhere for him.  I was super bummed if I didn't get to see him.  I found myself thinking of him more often than usual, and missing him when we weren't together.  I almost couldn't believe myself when I started having these feelings!  

February of our senior year brought us the "Queen of Hearts" dance at school.  QoH is a formal dance our high school has every year, usually close to Valentine's day.  There is a Queen of Hearts Court, complete with a King, Queen, Maid of Honor, and the Queen's court.  This has been a tradition at our high school for  dozens of years, and you probably would only really "get it" if you attended Broughton.  To be on the court, you have to be nominated, then the school gets to vote for whoever they want to be on the court.  Much to my surprise (and by surprise, I mean utter disbelief), I was nominated and chosen to be on the court!  That meant I got to pick one lucky man to be my escort.  Who did I pick?  You got it.

We had an ABSOLUTE blast preparing for this dance.  We had to go to rehearsals, we had to learn how to Waltz... oh, it was just so much fun.  This dance sort of marked the beginning of our relationship.  Although we still had not declared ourselves "official", we basically were.  We knew it, and everyone else knew it.  In April, it was time for Prom.  David asked me to be his date.  (Yes!)

We were nearing high school graduation in May and we were both thrilled that we were going to be so close that fall.  David was accepted to NCSU and I was heading to Meredith College (a private college for women).  These schools are on the SAME ROAD.  Two Miles apart.  Could it get any better than that?!  We were so glad we didn't have to say goodbye to each other.

The summer before college, we had a blast together.  We went to the movies, we hung out with friends, we went to the pool, he took me out for ice cream, we hung out at my house with my family.  We spent  so much time together.  This was also the summer he told me he loved me for the first time.  After about 20 seconds (which felt like 20 minutes to him, I'm sure), I told him I loved him too.  This was the first time either of us had ever said these precious words in a dating relationship.  Be still, my heart!

We both found it difficult to make the transition from seeing each other so often that summer, to starting school in the fall and seeing each other only on the weekends, and only one night a week for Campus Crusade. We both had very busy schedules.  David was working hard at school and was playing football for NC State.  He had to go to practice many mornings and evenings during the week, on top of his school work.  I was in school full time, and working part-time at an after-school program for the YMCA.  

Despite our crazy schedules, our relationship thrived.

At this point in time, David and I both knew we wanted to spend our lives together.  We were 18 years old.  As I'm writing this at 26, I giggle a little bit.  Eighteen sounds so incredibly young, and it is!  We just knew.  We knew we were going to marry one another.  I often thought to myself... I don't think anyone could EVER love anyone else as much as I love this man.  (Does everyone feel that way when they're in love, or was it just me?)  We both had parents with great marriages and grew up witnessing what marriage is all about.  We watched our parents argue, hurt each other, and forgive each other.  We observed our fathers love our mothers, and our mothers respect our fathers.  We watched them hug, kiss, and enjoy the one God gave to them to enjoy for life.

We occasionally talked about our plans for the future.  We talked about when we wanted to get married.  I shared with him my daydreams of getting married the summer before our last year of college.

God had other plans.

We both grew up in wonderful Christian homes.  We both accepted Christ at six years old.  We grew up going to church and wanted to honor and glorify God with every aspect of our lives.  We were both involved in Bible studies our freshman year to further our knowledge and walk with the Lord.  When our dating relationship first began, we established "the rules".  We were not going to have sex before marriage.  This day and age, people who don't sleep together and live together before marriage are definitely in the minority, and often considered "weird".  However, this was something we both believed strongly in, and we were willing to do whatever it took to keep it from happening.  We decided to only hang out in public places.  We decided not to stay out past 10pm.  We read wonderful books and talked to people we highly respected about the best way to keep our relationship healthy.  

The Enemy grabbed our relationship by the foot and would. not. let. go.

Sin leaked its way into our relationship, despite the guards we had tried to put up.  By God's grace, it was not a habitual sin, but it was sin nonetheless.  We felt defeated.  We were so angry.  Not at each other, but at the fact that we had tried so hard to wait, and now it was too late.

  Why couldn't we have stopped it?  How and why did this happen?  Those were constant thoughts running through each of our minds.

A month later, all signs pointed toward the obvious.

  I was pregnant.

There was no way.  It's was impossible!  How on earth did this happen?
Our world completely stopped.  I just wanted to wake up from that horrific dream.  It was such a dark, scary place.  Much to our dismay, it wasn't a dream.  It was reality.

"I can't do this."

 That was the first thought that came into my panicked mind.  "I can't do this."  All I could think about was needing to figure out some way to "erase" this awful situation we had gotten ourselves into.  Without even realizing it, in my mind I was contemplating having an abortion.  Within about five seconds of seeing the dreaded "+" on the test, in my terrified and selfish mind I had come up with a plan to make this happen.  If someone had asked me the day before (or even an hour before) if believed abortion was OK, I would have responded with a very firm "absolutely not.".  I did not condone abortion under any circumstance, but right there in that moment - that was the only option I thought would work for me.  There was just no way I was going to be able to tell anybody about this!  What would my parents think?  My brother and sister?  My grandparents?  My friends?  My Bible study leader?  This is the kind of thing that only happens in movies, right?  It cannot happen to me.  Not me!

David and I sat together moments after discovering that I was pregnant.  I was crying, he was hunched over with his head cradled in his hands.  We were just silent.  It was possibly the worst feeling I have ever experienced in my entire life.  One of us spoke eventually, I can't remember which one, and we got to talking.  We talked for several hours.  After spilling my feelings and everything that was going through my head, I felt slightly more calm.  Slightly.  After allowing everything sink in, my initial thoughts on abortion started to fade.  Slightly.  Within a few more hours, my thoughts disappeared completely. (Up until just a couple of years ago, I carried around a tremendous amount of guilt regarding my thoughts about abortion.  I was so, so burdened.  I finally asked the Lord to take away this guilt, and He was so faithful to remove that burden.  "Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28)

We are going to have a baby.

After confirming that we would, in fact, continue with the pregnancy, we talked about the next steps we needed to take.  We knew we wanted to marry one another.  We had known that for a while.  We knew.  We talked about our options.  Should we just continue dating throughout the pregnancy, and see where we are and how things are going once the baby is born?  Or, do we get married before the baby comes and begin the lives we'd been anticipating for so long?  After thought and prayer, we both felt like getting married was the right step.  We didn't care if people thought we were rushing it, and we figured people might think we believed this was the only option.  We knew it wasn't.  We knew good and well we did not have to get married now, if at all.  David said the next step was for us to tell our parents. 

Oh boy.   Just go ahead and kill me now, please.  Lord, take me Home.

My parents were by far the ones I was most terrified to disappoint.

We got all four of our parents together at the same time to tell them the news.   David told me I didn't need to say a thing, that he would handle everything.  (His maturity blew me away.)  David explained everything to them.  There was silence.  There were tears.  There was no yelling, no anger.  The first thing that came out of my Dad's mouth was, "abortion is not an option".  We assured him that we were not going that route.  
After absorbing the fact that their 18-year-old babies were going to have a baby, they rose out of their chairs to give us hugs.  Hugs.  They told us everything was going to be fine.  After that night, for the first time I did believe everything was going to be fine.  Not easy, but we were going to be okay.

Telling our friends was no small feat.  Being the pleaser that I am, this was incredibly hard for me.  Thankfully, most supported us.  Unfortunately, some did not.  I still remember the ones who said some of the most encouraging things to me during this extremely difficult time.  I remember the way I felt when one friend wrote me a card that read, "Ash, congratulations on your engagement and new baby!"  It was incredibly refreshing to hear those words.  It was honey to my soul!
  I also remember the way I felt when others said they were curious to see how long our marriage lasted.

David proposed in March.  We were with my parents and my sister at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.  David got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.  Even though I knew he was going to propose soon, I had no idea when, or where.  I love that he made sure I experienced what I had dreamt about since I was a little girl.  It was the perfect proposal. 
We were married in May, in the beautiful chapel at Meredith College.  Our closest friends, family, and extended family were all there to witness us promise our lives to each other.  What a sweet, perfect day.

  The beautiful month of November rolled around, and our little boy was born.  We were delighted to meet him and welcome him to the world.  After all, the Lord clearly has a purpose for him here.

_____________________________________________________


It was not easy having a baby at the young age of 19.   David was in school full time, playing football, and working part-time.  I was no longer in school.  I decided to devote my days to raising this child God had given us.

  It's interesting to look back and see how far we have come.  We now have three beautiful children, and we are incredibly happy in our marriage.  We have really enjoyed being young parents and look forward to being empty nesters in our mid-forties. ;)  We couldn't have done it without the Lord's grace and mercy.  We couldn't have done it without the help of our family, and our friends. 
 One thing a friend of the family said to us when we found out we were expecting was, "Isn't it amazing that the Lord can turn our ashes into beauty?" We are sinners, but the Lord cleanses us from that sin and makes us new again. 

 It's still not easy being young parents. We were not as financially "ahead" as some parents are when they start having children.  We don't have a house with a huge fenced-in backyard.  We can't afford a vacation to Disney World.  We can barely afford preschool.  I still get looks at the grocery store because I don't look old enough to have children.  I get asked more often that I should if the children I carry around with me are actually mine.  These things can difficult to bear sometimes, but we just have to constantly remind ourselves that we are where God wants us, and that if we do the job He has assigned us to - raising these precious children - we will be just fine and we know that our reward is in Heaven, not in this world.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life we have waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell

35 comments:

Tracey said...

You have a beautiful story..thank you for sharing your heart.

I remember when you were 13 and babysitting for me. I asked you what you wanted to do after high school. You said, " I want to get married and be a mom, just like my mom." I thought you were one of the most precious people I'd ever met...I wasn't wrong.

Love you, Ashley. And I love watching you thrive as a wife and mom. You are in your element...just like you always knew you would be. :D

Jenn & David said...

Ashley, I could barely finish reading your story with all the tears rolling down my face. I know you have shared bits and pieces with me along the way but to read your whole story was such a blessing. You are such a spiritually mature young woman and I love seeing how the Lord has worked in your life over these many years. What a blessing for your sweet son, Camden. He has two wonderful parents!!

emily bennett said...

i think you know how i feel about this :) the same way i felt when i gave you fuzzy slippers and reeses cups to congratulate you.

i remember when you told me, i cried too. it has been amazing to be your friend for 5 years prior, and now almost 6 years after. witnessing your maturity and wisdom has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. your love for the Lord, for David and for that sweet baby who was born on my birthday (you know i can't let that go, ever!) is so admirable and something i strive for.

you are so strong and so precious. of all the marriages i have seen, yours is one of the strongest, growing marriages. i have been so proud to watch, first-hand, how the Lord has blessed you.

you are a blessing in my life, and never once have i doubted your love for your sweet firstborn, or your husband.

you, ashley brown, are one of the most remarkable women i know.

Amber said...

Girl... LOVE YOU! Thanks for sharing your heart!

lee and hannah said...

wow! ashley! what a blessing and encouragement to read your story. and what an example you give to women and mothers you come into contact with--whether its in the grocery store or here on your blog.

you and david have certainly matured at an accelerated rate with the situations you've been faced with and the decisions you've had to make, but your relationship prospers with depth and a better understanding of each other and the Lord.

i've yet to meet your sweet little boys--but, i'm SURE you're a fantastic wife & mother. only the Lord knows sweet camden's purpose here--who knows, you might be the next "tim tebow's mom!" :)

thanks for challenging us all to be more confident in the Lord's plan for our life & better wives/mothers/home-makers... and to be BOLDER BLOGGERS! :)

becca Simmons said...

I think I love you more after reading that. I like that we are sisters (in-law) and better that we are friends. Thank you for being bold and sharing this. Your heart is worth sharing, and I look forward to more bold blogs.

Laura Robinson said...

Oh we just love y'all so much and you are such an inspiration.
Even though I was blessed to witness you walking through a lot of these choices over the past 6 years it is such a sweet reminder to read your story and remember your strength and faith and commitment.

God REALLY knew what He was doing when He decided Camden was going to be part of this world, that kid is amazing Ashley and you and David have done such a great job with him.

I agree with Becca, I am looking forward to more bold blogs!

cara said...

Even though I know this story well, I loved reading this. And I had many tears too! I am so proud of you for sharing this with everyone. You and David are amazing people and always an encouragement to me. I hope to have a marriage half as beautiful as yours. And what a blessing Camden is!!!!!!!!

I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I know we've never met but we have similar stories. Actually, they are basically the exact same! We got pregnant at 18 but unfortunately we miscarried. We told our parents everything which I still think is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I did NOT want to disappoint them. Then, 3 years later, we were engaged and found out I was pregnant again. I never thought I'd have to tell my mom that I was unmarried and pregnant once but to do it twice?? Thankfully, the Lord blessed us with our sweet Owen last February! I love where you said that the Lord turns our ashes into beauty! How true!

Your children are beautiful and I appreciate your willingness to share your sweet story! It's nice to know there are more people out there who share a similar history to mine.

Have a beautiful weekend/Valentines day!
-Lauren

Robbie and Melissa said...

What a strong and Godly woman you've grown to be!

I always knew God had great plans in store for you and David! From watching you two stare at each other across the room during bible study(while you were supposed to be paying attention, hmm hmm, j/k) to now being EXCELLENT parents, it's been very cool to watch!

Your firstborn is a huge blessing and will be used by God in a mighty way! Thank you for sharing your heart!

Gretchen said...

Oh Ashley! What a precious girl you are. So bold, so transparent, so beautifully written. Thank you for taking the risk to share this story. I respect you and love you even more.

Oh, and those dirty looks in the grocery aren't because you are young. It's because you are so beautiful. They're just jealous! ;)

Chelsea said...

Thanks for sharing your awesome and amazing story Ashley. Isn't it funny how God has everything worked out for us, despite our intentions. You and David are a wonderful and inspirational success story, and I have the utmost respect for both of you and the great decisions you've made together.

Spirt Mom said...

I want to point out that the only difference between you and me is that you got caught!! We, too, were having sex before marriage at age 19 and knew it was wrong! I brought that guilt into our marriage and had such issues for several years. It's been 15 years now, and 4 children later, but I never judge those who got pregnant out of wedlock because only by the grace of God that wasn't me!!! And by the way, thanks for owning your story instead of trying to hide it!! Makes you a bold woman of God!

Lesli said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading. I was pregnant at 19 and have a similar story. Of course I am much older than you know..lol! Continue to share your story, I am sure you will an can help many teens who were in your position! I can tell that you are an amazing mother! Hope you have a great weekend!

Lesli said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading. I was pregnant at 19 and have a similar story. Of course I am much older than you know..lol! Continue to share your story, I am sure you will an can help many teens who were in your position! I can tell that you are an amazing mother! Hope you have a great weekend!

~aj~ said...

Your story brought me to tears. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Ndidi Sola said...

Lovely post!
This was so awesome and I agree with the lady above ^^^^ this is going to help many teens and even adults.
Praise Jesus for your testimony!

Ms. J said...

What an amazing testimony! My mom had me when she was 17, she lost all of her friends and dealt with everyone pressuring her to have an abortion. Currently she volunteers at a Crisis Pregnancy Center. It is amazing how God works everything out. Moms like you are so admirable. My mom will always be my hero and I am sure you're son will one day feel the same way =)

Amy said...

Thank you for being so brave to share your story. We are sinners, all of us in one way or another, but by the grace of God we are forgiven.

Amy

Peeking in from Kelly's Korner...

Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing your story- you are so brave, and I know the Lord is using you to do great things with your testimony.

Rachel

Also peeking in from Kelly's Korner!

Amber said...

What an amazing story! My brother has a similar story and IT IS amazing how God works ALL things together for HIS good!

Hattie said...

Just found your blog from Kelly's Korner. Love your story. Thanks for sharing. I had my first son when I was 16 and got married. Our marriage didn't last, but God had other plans for me.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Thank you for sharing your story..I was a teen mom too and God (being the Romans 8:28 God that He is) used it for His glory and still does today.

RN Mama said...

You should be so proud of your bold blogging, and of sharing your story. It is a great story to tell, thank you for sharing!

Erinn said...

I found your blog through Kelly's Korner...just randomly clicked over and was surprised because my husband and I also went to State and were involved in Crusade! We graduated May 08 and were married October 09.

Your story is beautiful, you should read Karen Kingsbury's "Even Now" and "Ever After" they would be so close to your heart!

The Hands said...

I was so touched by your honesty and your humility in writing your story. And now look what a beautiful family you are!

Shannon Dingle said...

I'm catching up on all the blogs I missed over the past six months of burying my head in books for grad school, and I'm so glad I found this precious gem. Thanks for sharing, Ashley. When we met you and David, we just assumed that - like almost everyone else in our LIFE class - you were older than us, not because you looked older but because you had been married longer and because you already had sweet Camden. Over the years, we've realized this wasn't the case, but I mention our initial impressions because it would have been easy for you to keep this private as the years pass. Thank you for being willing to be bold and share the ways God has worked in your lives!

I'm thankful for you, friend!

And, as you know, I tend to be pretty open on our blog, but I do still struggle with being bold and sharing what I share, and your words have encouraged me to continue with that boldness. Thank you. I look forward to reading more bold blogs from you in the future!

Kelly said...

I am so happy that you were able to find my blog. I really enjoyed reading your story! You were SO right when you said that it's reassuring to know that they are other people out there that are going through some of the same struggles as you are because then you don't feel like you are the only one going through that particular obstacle. Thank you again for sharing your story! --Kelly

The Fryes said...

I just stumbled across your blog and was completely captivated by your story! Thank you for sharing it and for being such an awesome witness for the Lord!

Nicole Cockerham said...

You are wonderful Ashley. God has knit those He created together with similar stories and feelings that He has allowed us to have so that we can relate to each other and then point each other to Him. He is so pleased with you and your family and I am so glad to know you. ~Nicole

The Corbett Family said...

We have really enjoyed getting to know you and David and are very happy that God has placed the two of you in our paths lately. We had no idea of your journey until I read your blog and now I admire you even more. What an awesome testimony for Him as you are so transparent. If we were all a little more transparent I think non-christians would see we really aren't perfect, Jesus is. I can't wait to see how God has and will use you. You are a blessing and I encourage you to keep up the good work.

The Vernon's said...

I have never read your story before, but how beautiful! God is so good, and so forgiving and so gracious to us.
Your family is so beautiful! What an amazing legacy you have!

Brandy said...

Ashley,
I really loved reading your story here. You share it so well. What a beautiful picture and understanding of grace, love, redemption, and the Gospel. It's so encouraging to me. I hope to see you around PBC while we're in and out these next couple of months before going back to India.
Blessings,
Brandy Gainor

Laura Garwood Meehan said...

It is true that beauty can come out of the ashes. It's hard enough to have kids when you are in your 20s or 30s.

This spring, I read an essay in the Listen to Your Mother show. A castmate, Jill Mansfield, read an essay called "Dear 19 Year Old Me." I am attaching a link. I think you will find it meaningful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zisOEIznUC8&list=PL5oPQWgVdsDm5di3nYoo9oakXebLm9X-H

Blessings to you (and thanks for sharing my own blog, www.shortwinded.net).

Rachel said...

hey girl - i don't think we know each other... though i think we do have alot of the same friends... the reason i "entered" your blog is because your blog was a referring blog to mine... so i wanted to check out your blog! :)... read through your story and what a beautiful one it is. life life life and i LOVE the quote at the end of your bio. i was a baby born to "too-young" parents in november of ... well a few years ago... :) ... and do you know even their ownership and responsibility taken has so shaped my life...and it will shape for the gospel your son's, and your childrens', lives too... just knowing that my parents chose me, and chose to live their lives for more than themselves gave me the feeling of such worth, such love and sacrifice... it's precious... and you are giving that to your children too... life for a life... and life keeps on... thanks for sharing your story... rachel