10.12.2012

happy first birthday, evelyn!


Evelyn,  you are one year old today!!  It's difficult for me to put my thoughts and emotions into words.
  The moment you were born, we were forever changed.  We had a daughter.  I didn't know how much I wanted a little girl until you were born.  When you were in my belly, I really thought you were a boy. I was very excited about possibly having another little boy to join the two older boys.  Truly, I was.  However, when you entered this world and your daddy and I heard the words "it's a GIRL!", we absolutely couldn't have been happier.  


You, my dear, are the sweetest baby on the planet.  I mean, you just absolutely kill us with your sweetness.  You are easy going, cheerful, loving, and just plain adorable.  I have gotten a few glimpses into what I think might be the personality of a pleaser.  Like mother, like daughter!  


At one year, you are sleeping 11-12 hours a night, and you still take two naps a day.  Your morning nap is typically about 45 minutes long, and your afternoon nap is, on average, about an 1.5 hours.  Just like your brothers (and your daddy), you just don't need a lot of sleep.  I thought I'd get at least one child who was like their mama, but oh well.  As long as you sleep well during the night, I'm not terribly worried about your daytime sleep.
We took your pacifier away about two weeks ago.  As much as you loved your sweet paci, it was time.  You have handled it like a champ.  You do cry a little at bedtime and at nap time, whereas before you didn't make a peep, but I think it's good that you're learning to soothe yourself to sleep.  You are such a big girl.
We also gave you your last bottle this month.  Big month for transitions, huh?  I kept saying that when I used up the can of formula we had, then that would be it.  I wasn't going to buy any more.  For a couple weeks prior to that, I'd been adding a little bit of whole milk to your nighttime bottle to get you accustomed to the taste of regular milk.  Well, you loved it!  I probably could have skipped that step and gone straight to whole milk.  You are doing wonderfully without the bottle!  You now use sippy cups 100% of the time, and have mastered that skill perfectly.  No more pacifiers, no more bottles... wow, you really are a big girl now.

A picture of you with your very last bottle.  It was much more emotional for me that I thought it would be!  You handled it just fine. :)

You are still a really great eater.  I can tell that you've been a little more hesitant than you used to be when it comes to certain foods, but I believe this has a lot to do with teething.  You now have nine teeth!  And on top of that, three are currently working their way in.  It's been a little rough for you, especially those molars... but you've been a trooper.  
Some of your favorite foods are broccoli, carrots, strawberries, cheese, bread, yogurt, spaghetti, green beans.  These are the foods you eat super quick when placed on your highchair (or fed to you in a spoon).  There are several foods you will tolerate, but I can tell that you aren't passionate about some of it.
Your least favorite foods are pineapple, mandarin oranges, and black beans.  I'm probably missing a few, too.  You will not touch these things, and if I try to stick one in your mouth, it comes right back out.  Silly girl.


At 12 months, you are 20.4 lbs (30%), 29 1/4 in. long (51%), and head is 45 1/4 cm. (51%). You wear a size 4 diaper, size 3 shoe, and size 12-18 month clothes.  In the last couple of weeks, you have taken several steps.  I think the most you've taken at one time is about ten.  Keep practicing, little one!  You'll get it before you know it, and you will look SO cute!  You also have become much more vocal recently.  I think I can officially say that your first word is "uh-oh".  You say it whenever you throw food off your high chair, or when you drop a toy.  You say "dadada" fairly often, but you don't always use it in the right context... so I'm not sure I can classify that as a word yet.  You have the sweetest little voice.


Evelyn, you are SO loved.  I feel so blessed to be your Mama.  I can't wait to continue to get to know you and learn all about your likes and dislikes, what makes you giggle, and what your favorite color is. We love you to pieces, sweet thing!  Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

becca Simmons said...

Happy birthday sweet niece mine! When i heard you were a girl, i immediately thought of mother daughter shopping trips!! Silly but true! I look forward to that sweet grin and can't wait to watch you grow!

opaandoma said...

Evelyn, you are beautiful and soooo loved! You have the best Daddy and Mommy ever! Your big brothers are so special!!! They will always be there for you, just like we all will be! We love you very much! Happy Birthday #1!!!

Jenn & David said...

sweet, sweet tribute to your precious daughter. Cannot believe she is a year old.