8.17.2010

farm party gone bad

On Saturday, we all headed out to Wake Forest for one of Camden's best friend's birthday party. It was for Miller, who turned 5. They have been best buddies since his first year of preschool. He was so thrilled to get to see many of his old friends from school. We have been looking forward to this party for so long... mainly because we knew it was going to be at a farm!! If you know Camden, you know he loves all things animals. It was a local farm of a lady who lives there with her family, and she rents out the space for birthday parties, etc. There were lots of things to see!

Anderson just wanted to chase the ducks... which he later got in trouble for. (Oops. But really, he's a toddler. What do they expect?)

bunnies!

"ducks! ducks! ducks!"

SO CUTE. In my humble opinion. :)

Camden with the birthday girl, Miller. I love her red curly hair. It totally matches her personality, too.






Camden was speaking with the goats. He would make a goat noise, and they would do it back! Hilarious.

Camden with best buddy Jack and his other friend Jeannie. (preschool friends)


Everyone was having a blast until it happened.....


(Disclaimer: if you are pretty squeamish, you might not want to read below.)

Camden was playing on a swingset and hit his ear on one of the poles. He ran over to me holding his ear, but I just figured it would be something that needed a hug and a kiss. When I looked down and saw blood on his hear and on his shirt under his ear, I started to realize this wasn't just a minor cut. He had basically split his hear open. I ran him over to Miller's mom and to the lady who owns the farm to let them know what happened, and quickly people were swarming at me with bandaids, wipes, neosporin, and lots of support. (David hardly knew what had happened because he was off somewhere making sure Anderson didn't get his fingers bitten off by a goat or goose.) :) One of the other moms told me I should probably take him ASAP to the ER, but we decided instead to wait a few minutes and call the pediatrician when we got in the car. We were SO sad to have to leave the party after only 30 minutes. I think the part that was even harder than seeing my baby hurt, was having to tell him we needed to leave. I about broke down in tears at that point.

We got in the car and called his pediatrician, and they told me that as long as the bleeding had stopped, that I could just go into the office. Thankfully they are open on Saturdays, and I am so thankful we didn't have to spend the fortune at the ER if it wasn't necessary. When we got to the pediatrician's office, they took a good look at his ear, cleaned it, double checked his tetanus vaccine status, and "glued" his ear back together with Dermabond. I am SO glad he didn't have to get stitches! Camden was such a trooper and was so brave the whole time. We took him to get ice cream after supper that night for being so good.

This was the scariest incident I've hat to deal with so far... which is pretty good for having almost made it 6 years without having to get stitches or the like. But, I do have 2 boys... so I better get used to it. :)

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Poor guy! Poor Momma!

I was doing just fine reading your post until the 'glued his ear back together' part...then my knees got a little weak.

emily bennett said...

you should know that i am DyInG over Anderson in that bandana. and I'm so glad you got pictures of him chasing the ducks :)

sorry about cam- poor guy. i know leaving broke his heart. glad his ear is okay!

Jenn & David said...

Oh my goodness Ash, I am so sorry! Glad that Cam is doing okay and that it wasn't any worst. And A does look so cute running around after those ducks. :)

lee and hannah said...

glad he's ok!! ice cream makes almost EVERYTHING better :)

Ed and Jamie said...

Oh my word Ashely-that sounds like quite a eventful day. Glad that Camden is ok it is so hard when they get hurt. I remember the morning that Benjamin split his head open oh my. I am trying to get used to it (as much as you can) since they are boys but wonder if I ever will...lol