The thought occurred to me to do this tonight during My Evening Walk (the Monday night Bible Study I attend). We are studying Esther, and part of the lesson was about refusing to do things you know are wrong. Mordecai refused to bow to Haman, day after day, even though it may have been easy for him to just do it to save himself and not bring attention to himself. One of the questions Beth Moore asked us was, "Reflect for a moment on a time when you were battered incessantly by a certain area of temptation until it was almost unbearable. If you're like me, you won't need to reach far for a personal example. When was the last time you felt like an unseen enemy was trying to blast his way through your gate with the force and repetition of a battering ram?" Needless to say, my computer time was the first thing that came to my mind. Even though it's not an "unhealthy" temptation, like drugs or alcohol, it's still something Satan is using in my life to distract me from what God has put in my life as my number 1 priority, time with Him, and time with my family. Am I using up all my free time online instead of spending it in the Word? Am I using up all my free time online instead of sitting and talking with my children about the Lord?
I just want to encourage you to ask yourself the same question Beth Moore asked us. I have found it to be incredibly freeing. I'm excited about the de-cluttering, if you will, that the Lord has allowed to take place in my life so I can focus on more important things.
6 comments:
What a new (and convicting) spin you put on what I read this week in the study. If you are like me the household chores, the way I spend time with the baby, the way I spend my time when she is napping, etc. can hang over my head, but I don't really change my distractions in order to do the important things better. Thanks for sharing your decision to turn off the distractions!
I am so proud of you. What an encouragement. My answer was nothing remotely close to yours but I think that is neat! I will miss you on facebook but like Emily said, I am glad we are friends in real life! Otherwise, I would be sad that I wouldn't be able to stalk to you! Hehe. Thanks for the encouragement sweet friend! I love you!
wow, ashley--what an example you set to all of us (moms, wives, and just women in general!). i feel both encouraged and convited by your post... it really does make you wonder what you spend all that time for just surfing around the internet (not just facebook!). thanks for the encouragement & i look forward to re-prioritizing my time :)
(and we STILL need to get together soon! i'd chatted with emily last week--we're aiming for something after M's surgery...obviously, that was today!)
Good for you Ash!! I am SO proud of you!! :)
miss you Ashley! Yet another example of your testimony and your obedience/love for Him!
Such wisdom, girl! I agree, FB and blogging can become all-consuming. When we returned from a week-long trip this fall, I realized that I wasn't missing out on as much as I thought I would be. It was so freeing to realize that I don't have to be in-the-know. Besides, it's much more fun to give myself an hour to sit down and "catch up."
Post a Comment