2.17.2009

moving

We are so happy to announce that we have bought our first place! (We are just renting the house are in in now.) It's a cute little townhouse in a great area, off Lynn Road near Six Forks. I don't have any pictures right now, but will soon be doing some "before and after" shots as we have just a little work to do before we actually move in. Moving date is in 2.5 weeks! I sit here and look around at this entire house that needs to be packed up, but would rather blog instead. :) I'll get to it eventually, don't worry. Here's are the pros and cons of our current home:

Pros:
-Cute little bungalow with a lot of character (built in 1920)
-Amazing location
-Hardwood floors throughout
-Huge kitchen
-We were renting for an unbelievable price, considering the location. The houses surrounding us are around half a million dollars. It was fun to pretend that we actually fit in here. :)

Cons:
-We don't own it, so we can't change anything cosmetically...at least not anything that we REALLY want to do.
-No dishwasher (yes, I am serious.)
-Poor insulation in the house due to its age, therefore our heating/AC bills are outrageous.
-Only two bedrooms and one bathroom. (yes, one bathroom for the ENTIRE house.)
-Washer and dryer are downstairs in the unfinished basement (which I have to go outside to get to), and unfinished basement in an old house = lots of bugs and nastiness.
-It is absolutely impossible for David and I to both have a shower in the mornings. The hot water runs out towards the end of even a very quick shower. Always.
-Although the kitchen is huge, it's very outdated and old.
-The bathtub is free-standing, a very old style. With this kind of tub, there has to be a shower curtain hung around the entire thing. The tub is tiny, for one thing, but the curtain sticks to me while I shower, which REALLY drives me crazy!!
-The bathroom is in the hallway, which means we have to leave our room to get to it.
-For some reason, I find it hard to get an old house really and truly CLEAN. It's basically impossible. I have had conversations with others who agree with me.
-There is a severe lack of storage. There are two bedrooms, but only one of them has a closet. I never quite understood this.
-The doors and doorknobs are so old, that some of the doors won't even latch all the way, and two of the doorknobs have come off completely while trying to close or open a door. It's quite comical, actually.

Disclaimer: While I know the "cons" sounds like I'm complaining about the house, we really have enjoyed living here despite all those things. At the time that we found it, we felt like it was a great move for us and wouldn't go back and do something differently. However, we are very excited to move on to something we are much more comfortable with.

Our new house is a 2-story townhouse that was built in 1985. Some of its features:
-Updated kitchen with brand-new appliances
-Hardwood floors in the foyer, hallway, and kitchen
-Brand new carpet and paint in the entire house (thanks to the people selling it!)
-3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths
-Laundry ROOM, inside the house!!!! (so excited!!!!)
-DISHWASHER!! (it's been over a year since i've used one!)
-Master bedroom has it's own walk-in-closet and bathroom
-Both secondary bedrooms have a bathroom that you can get to from either room
-Lots of closets and storage space
-The neighborhood has a pool and tennis courts within walking distance, as well as a greenway that connects to Shelley Lake

We are so excited and will post pictures as soon as we get them. Yay for home-ownership! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are so happy and excited for y'all! can't wait to see it soon!

Jenn & David said...

Wow...how exciting for you all!! Can't wait to see the new place and glad you will be closer. If you need anything (help packing or moving on the big day) just let us know!

Shannon Dingle said...

I was worried when I saw the title that y'all were moving away from Raleigh ... glad that's not the case!

This move sounds so exciting for y'all! I can relate to the old house issues for cleaning, no dishwasher thing, and outside walk to the washer/dryer, since that was the case for my first house in Rio Grande City - you'll feel so spoiled with these "luxuries" - fun!

Jenelle Leanne said...

Yay! Sounds like a great place! Been through the 'no dishwasher' thing and I gotta tell you, you get spoiled quickly! :-)

~Jenelle

Chelsea said...

I too hated not having a dishwasher when we were first married. Doesn't it feel AWESOME to own your own place?? We're so happy for you guys!

Amber said...

Loved getting to spend some time together last night! So fun! Hooray for your new house :)

Tucker Family said...

congratulations! we are so happy for y'all!! :)

Katie said...

YAY! Ash, the new house sounds great! I must say our laundry room was one of the biggest perks to me about our house. Seriously. I share your joy. :) Oh, and can we come over and swim with you guys this summer??? :)

Julie P said...

That is awesome! Do you need any help packing/moving? We also want to come over and swim with ya'll this summer!!

ashley said...

The more, the merrier at our swimming pool! Any and all moms are welcome! :)